Filipinos are not known for their thriftiness. Not particularly, I mean. But when it comes to chicken, no part goes uneaten(hey, that rhymed 🙂 ) Here’s proof:
- Breast and thigh are used in the oh so famous inasal(grilled chicken)
- Chicken’s neck is used in soup and adobo
- Chicken feet are marinated in calamansi, toyo and brown sugar and then grilled to make Addidas(yes, even filipino food is brand conscious 😛 )
- Chicken intestines are turned inside out, cleaned, brushed with spices and grilled to make
- Chicken liver is grilled by itself of used together with chicken fillet to make chicken Sisig
Last but not least, see if you can identify what part this is:
No, those are not brownies, thankyouverymuch. Those are betamax. Again, not the casette tape but actually grilled chicken blood, named so because of its shape.
You ask, what about the feathers? We don’t eat those but we make them into feather dusters. Creative, right?
Now, all this talk of chicken is making me hungry, so I got to go and find myself some food.
Isn’t it tastefully awesome to be Filipino? 🙂